Reducing the cost of manufacturing for the mechanical structure

Home Forums Mechanical Structure Reducing the cost of manufacturing for the mechanical structure

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Elliott Rouse 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

Justin Clift

Hi all,

Looking at the initial bill of materials on the website, the greatest cost (atm) is the machined parts:

• Star Prototype (machined parts) ……………….. ~$15.6 k
    • Dephy (actuators and encoders) ……………….. ~$8.7 k
    • SDPSI (belts) ……………………………………… ~$0.2 k
    • McMaster-Carr (bearings, fasteners, etc.) …….. ~$1.6 k
    • Misumi (shafts) …………………………………… ~$0.1 k
    • Motion Industries (angular bearings) ………….. ~$0.8 k
    • Amazon (batteries and case) …………………… ~$0.5 k
    • K&J (magnets) …………………………………… ~$0.0 k
    • Shipping charges ……………………………….. ~$0.9 k

Total Cost: ~$28.5k

At first blush, that seems greatly inflated as the material cost is likely a few hundred dollars at the most.

However, looking at the design of the pieces, then looking at the .pdf quote, it seems reasonable.

Mainly because the parts themselves haven’t (yet) been adjusted to simplify their manufacturing.

So, it looks to be very labour intensive (currently).

Is iterating on the design, to simplify things for manufacturing (even one-offs), something that would be welcome? 🙂

Regards,

Justin Clift

• #1358 Reply

Justin Clift

As a general thought, there’s an initial discussion from someone competent who took a look at the parts, here on HN:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20213776

• #1359 Reply

RoboMartin

Hi folks. I’m the one who posted a DFM review of sorts on HN. I’d be interested in having a further look at this and seeing just what could be done in order to improve manufacturability and, thereby, cost. Let me know who I should contact regarding this. If I can help with this, I will. I bring to the table 30+ years experience in electrical, software and mechanical engineering as well as manufacturing in domains ranging from consumer to aerospace.

Happy to provide full identification and LinkedIn contact in a private setting.

-Martin

• #1360 Reply

Justin Clift

Elliott J Rouse PhD <ejrouse@umich.edu> is probably the best person to contact. 🙂

+ Justin

• #1364 Reply

Elliott Rouse

Hi all–thanks a ton for your interest and willingness to help. We’d love some DFM help, and at this point, had been focused on performance and weight, before manufacturability. We’d love your help taking a look at the design. The step files are available for download (https://opensourceleg.com/how-to-make), which could give you a quick look at the actual design files. If you’d like, we can provide the true Solidworks solidpart files, which may be easier to look at / see potential design changes. Please connect with me at my UM email address, ejrouse@umich.edu, and we can discuss the best path forward.

I want to thank you again for your willingness to help! This type of interaction was the reason we open-sourced the project in the first place! Thank you!!!

-Elliott

Reply To: Reducing the cost of manufacturing for the mechanical structure
Your information: